3.21.2014

Mishaps and lost cords

Hello!

I made a shirt a while ago.

Why?

Because it's part of the Wardrobe 2.0 project. I didn't call it Wardrobe 2.0 in my previous post, but it's a catchy name so I'm going to keep it. Anyway, moving on.

I made a shirt.


In fact, you can make this shirt too. Using this pattern here. It's very easy, I'm not gonna lie, but since I made it there were obviously a few screw-ups.



The first occurred with the fabric. It's very pretty, I love it. The main body is a dark gray with white and lime green polka-dots. The one for the sleeves, I have used before and I will use again because I adore it, is lime green with creamy-white polka dots. But see here's the thing. I got basically twice as much of the gray fabric as I need. Why. Why does this always happen? I din't think I've ever bought the right amount of fabric. I don' know how I do it, but I always follow the pattern's instructions as well, which is why I don't understand why I never get the right amount.

As it turns out however, it's probably a good thing that I got too much, because I screwed up again.


(And yes, I realize all these pictures are basically selfies. It's okay.)

I made this shirt too small. 

Yup.

It's less obvious in these pictures, but it is very small on me. I have to wear a tank-top underneath it because it's too short. Which was fine, I can deal with that.

But then I washed it. (Well my mom washed it, but the story is that it got washed.)

Now it's much too small for me. Much too small. 

Because I am an idiot and I didn't wash the fabric beforehand. 

So, moral of the story.

  • Always wash your fabric before cutting and sewing pieces into it.
  • Double check your measurements. "It's fine" is not fine. (All my sewing projects have the words "it's fine" somewhere in them. Learn from my mistakes.)
  • Use bias tape for the sleeves and collar. Trust me, just do. Unless you're good at sewing or something, but bias tape will save your life.
  • The pattern is great, I'll be doing it again, probably in the same fabric, but I would go one more size than you would think you need, and also I will be adding 2 inches to the bottom hem for a little more length.
There you go.

And as for the obligatory apology for the lack of posts, I don't owe you one, but I do have excuses. Well, one excuse. I lost the cord that connects my camera to my laptop and while I have several posts lined up for you guys, I don't have any pictures, which takes away from the whole point. Also, I have had very little time because my last show of the year is coming up and I am in charge of a whole costume, which is a little very stressful and time-consuming. So there you are, excuses. 


Hope you enjoyed! (I swear I have better pictures of this shirt, but they're all on my camera; I took these ones before I lost the cord.)



No comments:

Post a Comment