10.05.2014

Too much listing not enough doing

Hello there!

So, I'll just be straight with you. The only thing I have made in the last two weeks is a bunny and his scarf isn't finished so I don't have a picture for you. I was going to sew a bunny this afternoon, but instead I cleaned my room, which turned out to be a much better idea. I did work on my Book of Inspiration and Happy Thoughts a little bit, I added pictures and several lists, which brings me nicely to my next topic.

Lists.

If you've been keeping up with me for a while (in which case hello, thank you for your loyalty and continued interest) you will know that I love lists. I love making them, and I love reading lists that other people have made. I have lists of everything: lists of things to do that day, to do in the future, of books to read and books I've read, of music, of movies, of countries I want to visit.

However, it has come to my attention that making lists is definitely my most pronounced form of procrastination. Sure, I have several methods of procrastinating things, I'll go on YouTube or Tumblr for a while (several hours), I'll eat, I'll clean my room, I'll cuddle my cat... The list goes on. However, what I do when I most want to fight off actually doing things is that I will make a list of things that I should be doing. It motivates me to a certain extent because I have a moment of realization where I tell myself "This list is getting too long to justify writing it". So I get up and do things. Other times, and this happens a lot, I write the same list many times. Sometimes in a different order, sometimes copied basically word for word. It's a huge problem and I'm working on doing rather than listing.

I'm telling you all this because I started this post thinking "I'll just write a list of upcoming projects" and then I realized that I never abide by my lists anyway, so I wrote a whole spiel based on that thought instead.

I did have a creative funnel this week though, because I planned my birthday party. I made invitations a few weeks ago to send by mail. I love getting and sending mail, so I thought, why not? Then I planned the menu (and made part of it) and some of the minimal decoration. Let me tell you, stringing up twinkle lights on our back porch is one of the best decisions I've ever made. They look beautiful. I'm hoping my parents will forget to take them down. The only decoration thing I got a picture of were the candles in the Mason jars which were largely inspired by Tumblr but looked really adorable.


On that note, I hope you have a great week and that I will have a more interesting post next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment