12.30.2012

I'm Back!

Did you miss me?
I was gone for the time it took me to find the gloves I wanted to photograph.

Here they are, the color is still not accurately represented and I can't figure out why.

They are based off of mine, with some tweaks. These are made of pure alpaca yarn, I believe, though it seems that I have misplaced the yarn label, so I can't be sure. For once I was organized! I had kept the label to be able to know exactly what yarn it was. Now I can't find it.

Anyway, I got something crafty as well (more than one in fact, but I've only done one so far) for Christmas.
Since I am a very mature young adult, I wanted....a doll. Yes, that's right. A doll.

Not just any doll, though, I wanted a Waldorf doll. I wanted a little boy Waldorf doll.

Here's the thing though, so that I don't appear to be too strange. I wanted the supplies to make said doll. I wanted to prove to myself that I could make something using a pattern and have it turn out all right, because these dolls were considered a challenging sewing project.

So I got my doll. And I was very, very nervous about starting to make it. The fabric was nice, new, soft....There was so little of it, no room for mistakes. I gulped, took everything out of the paper bag that it was all neatly packaged in, put everything back in the bag and went back to being nervous.

Now, I'm nervous about starting any project with quality materials, but when I see those needles and that yarn, or that fabric, new and clean, just waiting to be turned into something wonderful....I am very weak.

It took me three hours. I worried for three hours, then started sewing.

It was all handsewn, luckily for me, and the hair is basically a crocheted hat sewn onto the doll's head, then you thread each individual strand of hair onto his head, oh my god, it took five hours and that's not even an exaggeration. It really did. So long, so, so, long. And my doll has short-ish hair, so I pity anyone who makes long haired dolls.

Without further ado, here he is, Theo, my adorable little doll that love.


Isn't he cute? So far, I've only made him that little sweater. I realized that the buttons are two different kinds of greens and I apologize, it will teach me to add finishing touches to things at 10 when the lights are dim and I can't see anything.

I will (eventually) make him a pair of pants and a t-shirt. For now, his top half is warm, so that's that.

He is 40 cm tall, blue eyes, bright red hair that is way too long but that I really don't want to trim.

There you go! That's the extent of what I've been working on.

Also, I thought I might add that this little guy was born under very good musical vibes. I said that I would post some music for you. I haven't done that yet, so here is a small list of the music that played while I spent hours threading hair onto a little plush doll's head.

Good Morning Sunshine, by Alex Day
It's Time, by Imagine Dragons
Radioactive, by Imagine Dragons
Love Is Easy, by McFly
One of Me, by Carrie Hope Fletcher
Some Coldplay but I can't remember what
A lot of Killers' songs

And many more that I can't remember, but those are always good.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment