12.09.2012

The season's upon us...

Hi!
The mornings are colder, we have had some snow (I love snow) and it's getting darker, making it harder to take decent pictures: the holiday season is definitely here!
In preparation for that, I have been working on some little - and not so little - projects.
First off, we are getting our Christmas tree next week, so I decided to make a little bird.








He is hand sewn using this pattern, although I added wings. I drew a basic wing design, cut it out on two pieces of fabric together and randomly machine-sewed lines all over it to make it stiff. I then pulled at the edges to fray them and give them a "feathery" look. I did the same with the tail. These birds are incredibly easy to make, I've made quite a few as gifts.
I still have to add a ribbon to hang him up on the tree.

I have also been working on presents. I have a huge pillow that I made a pillowcase to last year: it's really comfortable and warm, perfect for reading, and my brother really liked it. So, I went ahead and made him one too.
His is a bit smaller, 24" by 24", and has many squares of different flannel. Do you know how hard it is to find boy-themed flannel that isn't too "baby-ish"? It took me a lot longer than I thought it would just to find four patterns that looked nice together and would match his room.
The one thing that I refused to do with this pillow that I had done with mine was to hand sew it. I love hand sewing, don't get me wrong, that's what I usually do, but there were so many squares! Besides, I need to work on my machine-sewing skills and this was just straight lines.
I'm really happy with how it turned out. The pillow itself is a little weird to photograph, so this is just the fabric I used.


Music notes, skater, cool gray and Native-American inspired drawings that you can't really see here.


Last but not least on today's list of finished projects, a knit hat for said brother.
Ravenclaw is the Hogwarts house of choice around here and my brother is no exception. I made him a Ravenclaw scarf last year and this year, he asked for a hat. Easiest hat ever; I used striped yarn, 74 stitches, 6 inches of 1/1 ribbing, decreases until there are four stitches left, done. It took me about two hours. It looks like a ski hat, but it's a little shapeless when no one it wearing it, so here is a detail of the knitting.




Bye! And Happy Holidays for those who have already started celebrating!

No comments:

Post a Comment