6.27.2013

My summer gift to you

Hello!

I usually like to do more "sophisticated" craft projects, but sometimes I just want to do a simple, fun summer camp type of project. So I found an idea for a shirt somewhere on the Internet (I cannot remember where it was and it's really bugging me) and decided to make it for my friend's birthday.


I just found a white shirt and painted on the names of her favorite characters from various books and TV shows.

Here is how I did it (this is my first how-to post, so we'll see how it goes).

First, gather your materials:

- a shirt

- fabric paint

- a sponge

- tape (optional)

- an exacto knife

- a cutting mat

- newspaper

- a piece of cardboard

- a piece of paper with the words you want to print onto the shirt (this will serve as your template)

 
not everything I used is pictured here
Next, tape your template to the cutting mat (you don't have to but it's really helpful). Using the exacto knife, start cutting out the letters.

Sorry for the bad quality picture, the lighting in my living room is weird
Next, spread your newspaper on your work area so that the paint doesn't get all over the place. (I did this part outside so in my case the newspaper was there to keep the shirt clean from all the dust on the table.)
Then, stick the piece of cardboard into the shirt where you want to print the words. If you don't, the paint will leak through to the back of the shirt and you will be frustrated.


Then, put your template onto the shirt and sponge on the paint.


As soon as the paint is all there, take the template off. Don't let it dry first! I was really dubious about this, but it's the right way to do it apparently. And it works, so there you go.


Let it dry according to the paint packaging instructions and voilĂ ! It is complete.



Yay! If my instructions aren't clear, leave me a comment and I'll do my best to help you.




No comments:

Post a Comment